A key fob effortlessly helps you lock or unlock your vehicle. Key fobs run on one coin-type three-volt lithium battery. From time to time, you will need to change the battery in your key fob when it runs slow and low. You need to replace it when the battery becomes weak or dies. Replacing the battery in a key fob is a very easy procedure, all you need is a little screwdriver and few minutes. Here is the step-by-step guide to help you to How To Change The Battery In A Key Fob.
How to open the key fob
Opening the fob includes easy steps:
- For a key integrated fob, press the silver button on the keypad to release the key.
- Remove the keypad from your keychain as it will provide better access to the opening of the fob.
- Remove the metal key by pressing or holding the button or metal tab. With the help of metal, the key opens the back cover by inserting it into a small opening and twisting it.
- Find a notch, and use a flat blade screwdriver to gently open the key fob from the notch, by turning it and pushing the two sides apart.
How To Replace The Battery In The Key Fob
Open the key fob: The first step includes opening the key fob by using a flat screwdriver and gently twisting it.
Determine the battery type: After opening the fob, carefully lift the circuit to identify the battery. Take a note of how a battery is laying and the kind of battery used for replacement. Note the battery + and – position.
Replace the battery: The battery is placed in the fob’s centre which looks like a small silver coin. Remove the battery by sliding it out or lift it with a flat screwdriver.
Fit the new battery into the slot. The battery normally fits with the positive side facing up.
Fobs use batteries such as CR2025 or CR2032 which can be easily available in general stores and auto part stores.
Snap the fob shell back together: Gently snap the fob shell together by pushing it down. Then replace the screw and turn it to bind the cover tightly.
Test and check the key fob: Examine the working of the key fob by pointing at the car. Test if it doesn’t work, the battery may not have been inserted properly. Take the fob apart and place it again and check. If the problem continues, it may be indicated that the fob has been damaged.
Cost To replace The Remote Control Fob Battery
Key fob uses small size but big on power batteries which are widely available. The price of this kind of battery is usually $5. These batteries are reliable and provide long-lasting power for the key fob. You can store these batteries in a cool or dry place for the best results. The battery can last up to five years in storage.
What Type Of Battery Do You Need For A Keyless Remote?
The biggest hurdle in relacing the battery in a key fob is to determine what kind of battery is needed for a keyless remote.
- Replacement Batteries: Remove the current battery and ask for help in locating the correct battery. Most of the auto parts stores keep a wide range of keyless remote batteries. Generally, these batteries are round and flat like a coin.
- Unknown Battery Type: Mostly, vehicle fobs consist of one or two lithium-ion coin batteries.you can easily google and search for websites offering to sell replacement batteries and order the exact same battery you need for your fob.
Reprogramming Of A Key Fob After Replacing The Battery
Reprogramming of a key fob is followed by the battery replacement. Below is the process mentioned to reprogram the keyless remote.
- First steps include replacing the batteries inside the key fob.
- Get inside the car with your remote and close all the doors.
- Insert the key and turn on the ignition so the electrical systems are powered. The ignition should not be in the remote mode and do not start the engine.
- Repeatedly press the on and off button on the remote at least for three times. This will ensure sending a signal to your electronic control units that it’s your key in the ignition.
- Listen for the lock sound which indicates that you have entered the programming mode.
- Turn off the ignition after you reprogram your key.
- Step out of the vehicle and test for result by locking and locking the car’s doors.
The fob key comprises small batteries which stop working after a certain period of time. During this period you need to change the battery as quickly as possible to encounter effortless opening and closing of your device. Changing and replacing the batteries in the fob key is an easy process all you need to do, is to follow the above guidelines. Few simple steps and you are all set on How To Change The Battery In A Key Fob by yourself.